st: svy: total command

From   Rebecca Pietrelli <>
Subject   st: svy: total command
Date   Mon, 19 Nov 2012 12:49:01 +0100

Dear all,

I am using the Stata command svy: total, in order to estimate the
total number of migrants from Uganda, residing within or outside
Uganda, who remit money to their origin family.

The specific command I am using is:

. tab q518_1, gen(dremit)

(the answer to the question 5.18_1 is a label variable: yes if the
migrant remits and no otherwhise)

. svy, over(internal): total dremit1

(internal = 1 if the migrant has migrated within Uganda and 0 otherwhise).

Is this procedure correct?
Or should I use total command directly on label variable q518_1?

thank you