AW: st: Comparing coefficients with interactions in a SUR model

From   "Pohlmann, Sara" <[email protected]>
Subject   AW: st: Comparing coefficients with interactions in a SUR model
Date   Sun, 18 Nov 2012 15:44:09 +0100

Thank you so much for your help, it worked perfectly!!!!

Let me add one thing I was figuring out while running the test (in case others have a similar question):

when you want to compare marginal effects accross two regression of one SUR model, the explained procedure works fine, but it is important to create two distinct variables (i.e. kstock1 & kstock2), which essentially contain the same values.
test kstock1=kstock2 then test whether the difference in marginal effects is significant.

If you do not create two variables, Sata will calculate the combined marginal effect (i.e. the sum of the marginal effect of kstock1 on invest1 and kstock1 on invest2) and its significance.

Yet another way is to substract the marginal effect of the variable in one equation from the marginal effect in the other equation:

sureg (invest1 kstock1 mvalue1) (invest2 c.kstock2##c.mvalue2)
margins, dydx(_all) post expression(predict(equation(invest1))-predict(equation(invest2)))

Then, stata will calculate the difference between the marginal effects of each variable and whether this difference is significant.
I tested it both ways and the results are identical, so substracting the marginal effects of one regression from marginal effects from the other regression works quicker since you do not have to create a new variable.

Thanks again so much for your help!

Best, Sara