st: How can I change Stata's regular expression parser to use Perl's parser, so that I can use perl compatible regular expressions (i.e. the same regular expression syntax that I use with Perl)

From   Shafique Jamal <shafique.jamal@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: How can I change Stata's regular expression parser to use Perl's parser, so that I can use perl compatible regular expressions (i.e. the same regular expression syntax that I use with Perl)
Date   Fri, 16 Nov 2012 07:17:14 -0500

Hello all,

Would anyone know how to change Stata's regular expression parser to
use Perl's parser, so that I can use perl compatible regular
expressions (i.e. the same regular expression syntax that I use when
using Perl)?

Here is what is in the help page for Stata's regular expression
parser: "Regular expression syntax is based on Henry Spencer's NFA
algorithm, and this is nearly identical to the POSIX.2 standard."

I find, however, that Perl's regular expression engine is more
powerful and I find its additional features useful.

Thanks,
Shafique