st: using loop for [_n+1]

From   "Dherani, Mukesh" <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: using loop for [_n+1]
Date   Thu, 15 Nov 2012 10:37:31 +0000

Dear satalist,
I have few variables both mix of str and numeric entering multiple times. These include company, money, account, date etc.  I want to add money if the next row is exactly the same, however stata is coming up with errors when I used following syntax:
("invalid syntax" - if I converted all variables to numeric & "type mismatch" if variables are mix of str and numeric.)

foreach x of varlist v1 v2 v3 .....v10 {
sort v1 v2,stable
gen money=mone+mone[_n+1] if `x'=`x'[_n+1]      // here I want to say if the two rows are exactly the same then add money in first row
replace money=mone if `x'!=`x'[_n+1]                      // here I want to say if the two rows are different then replace it with original value

I have used  "`x'=`x'[_n+1]" to keep stata happy if there were string variables.
thank you in advance.