st: actually vs. reported dropped observations xtlogit

From   "Seliger Florian" <seliger@kof.ethz.ch>
Subject   st: actually vs. reported dropped observations xtlogit
Date   Thu, 15 Nov 2012 09:49:54 +0000

Dear Statalist,

Using a fixed effects logit model (xtlogit, fe), STATA reports that it drops N=3540 observations because all positive or all negative outcomes.
This is understandable given the way how "xtlogit, fe" works.

However, in the corresponding random effects model, we have N=4246 observations.
In the fixed effects model, we have N=984 observations.

4246-984=3262 !

3263 is smaller than 3540. Hence, STATA reports to have dropped more observations than it actually did.

Do you have an explanation?

Thank you for your consideration.

Best wishes,
Florian