Re: st: programming loops efficiently

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: programming loops efficiently
Date   Wed, 14 Nov 2012 12:36:09 +0000

This code is very likely to bite. First off, in Elizabeth's problem it
seems highly likely that many values are missing. Presumably, she has
25 variables because that many are needed in some cases, but in many
cases several of those variables, especially the last few, will be
missing.

Thus the comparison

... if Vh`x'  > maxhr

will often just find the (last) missing value, as numeric missing
counts as greater than any non-missing value, and each time the
condition is true, the corresponding variables will be changed by a
-replace-.

My earlier post linked to a discussion (including a reference) that
discusses better code for when missings are present.

But Alex's code can be tweaked to avoid this problem.

gen max = 1 if !missing(Vh01)
gen maxhr = Vh01 if !missing(Vh01)

forvalues x = 2/24 {
              local X : di %02.0f `x'
              replace max = `x' if Vh`X'  > maxhr & !missing(Vh`X')
              replace maxhr = Vh`X'  if Vh`X'  > maxhr & !missing(Vh`X')
}

Note that the -rename- can be avoided by using a format that insists
on leading zeros for 1...9.

Nick