Re: AW: st: Missing confidence intervals for median after using -bootstrap- or -bpmedian-

From   "Roger B. Newson" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: AW: st: Missing confidence intervals for median after using -bootstrap- or -bpmedian-
Date   Wed, 14 Nov 2012 11:17:19 +0000

Thanks for the clarification. How many subjects have a value of -astigmatism- of exactly -0.8? I ask because zero standard errors (and zero-width confidence intervals) for the median can also occur when a large number of observations have a value exactly equal to the median. This is because, in this case, the population median can only really have that value, because any other candidate value theta clearly has the property that Pr(Y<theta)-Pr(Y>theta) is nonzero (where Y is the variable being measured). (Recall that a median is defined as a solution in theta to the equation

Pr(Y<theta)-Pr(Y>theta)=0

so, if there is only one credible solution, then it will be surrounded by a zero-width confidence interval.)

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger

Roger B Newson BSc MSc DPhil