st: Generate a new variable from a string variable containing specific words

From   Kamarul Imran <kim4597@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Generate a new variable from a string variable containing specific words
Date   Tue, 13 Nov 2012 12:40:48 +0000

Hi all,

I assume my question is not difficult, but it seems I can not find my
way around it. Let us say, I have a string variable named 'icd' and
can be inputted as

input str8 icd
"I60.2"
"B25.3"
"C34.3"
"I65.4"
"I68.1"
end

I would like to generate a new variable that shows as 1 whenever
variable 'icd' contain words from I60 to I69, and 0 whenever variable
'icd' does not have that. So for my example, i will have a new
variable showing 1 for the 1st, 4th and 5th observation and 0 for
others.

How can I do that. Really appreciate if someone can help.

Regards,

Kamarul Imran Musa
School of Medical Sciences,
USM, Malaysia