Re: st: Comparing trend (y) with trend (x) using ordinal logistic regression

From   Ameya Bondre <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Comparing trend (y) with trend (x) using ordinal logistic regression
Date   Mon, 12 Nov 2012 13:59:41 -0500

Thanks, I am trying to see if I can adapt the example given by
Maarten, to my data...but would it be possible if I want to include
mal and bf as a response and predictor respectively, in the same logit
model and with this data set?

If yes, do I have to create new variables from mal and bf, to see
trend in mal as a function of trend in bf?

 I mean variables such as mal = 1 (mal in 2009) or 2 (mal in 2011) and
bf = 1 (bf in 2009) or 2  (bf in 2011)

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 1:35 PM, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:

> All your variables are binary, so your ordinal logit collapses to a
> logit. Other predictors you don't name won't change that so long as
> your outcome variable is fraction or proportion malnourished.
>
> Nick
>
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 6:17 PM, Ameya Bondre
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > My data set is in this format: [observations 1 to 6 --> children (with
> > their mothers as respondents)]
> >
> >         mal     bf      time
> > 1       0       0       0
> > 2       1       0       0
> > 3       1       1       0
> > 4       0       1       1
> > 5       0       1       1
> > 6       1       0       1
> >
> > where each of the three variables is ordinal taking two values, 0 and 1.
> >
> > Explanation for variables:
> >
> > time: data collected in year ___ (0 = year 2009, 1 = year 2011)
> > mal: child malnourished (0 = no, 1 = yes)
> > bf: child breastfed exclusively for first six months (0 = no, 1 = yes)
> >
> > I want to see the relationship between the change in number of
> > malnourished children with the change in number of children
> > exclusively breastfed, from 2009 to 2011. I tried to perform an
> > ordinal logistic regression but I am getting errors.
> >
> > Could you please explain the way in which I can construct new
> > variables out of these, to enter in the ologit model? My end goal is
> > to assess the change in malnutrition as a function of the change in
> > other predictors as well, in addition to bf.

Dr. Ameya Bondre
Research Analyst, Tufts University, Boston, MA
Master of Science in Public Health (MSPH)
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD
MBBS, G.S Medical College and KEM Hospital, Mumbai, India
Phone: (781) 298-1668
Email: [email protected]