Re: AW: st: AW: Question on xtreg and the FE option

From   Andrew Nicholson <andrew5@k-state.edu>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: AW: st: AW: Question on xtreg and the FE option
Date   Thu, 8 Nov 2012 10:24:28 -0500 (EST)

Ok got what looks like a couple mixed responses.  Heres my xtset

xtset CountyNum QuarterYear

Where CountyNum goes from 1 - 105 identifying all 105 individual counties in Kansas.  QuarterYear goes from 2001Q1 to 2008Q4 for each county.

So for this xtset, using the fe option it will automatically generate County Level Fixed Effects and Quarter time fixed effects?  Or possibly just the County?

Andrew Nicholson

----- Original Message -----
From: "Klaus Pforr" <kpforr@googlemail.com>
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Sent: Thursday, November 8, 2012 4:37:50 AM
Subject: AW: st: AW: Question on xtreg and the FE option

Linear fixed-effects-models can be understood as models on the deviances of the means, where the fixed-effect is the individual heterogeneity in the mean. Very often you are not interested in the deviance of a specific observation of a unit across time. All observation within a unit treated equally, i.e. they are symmetric with respect to time. Time becomes important, when you have/want to model correlation across time in the error term (help xtreg##correlation). I thing all of these options need the additional time specification in the xtset, but not the xtreg itself.

Klaus

Klaus Pforr
GESIS -- Leibniz Institut für Sozialwissenschaft
B2,1
Postfach 122155
D - 68072 Mannheim
Tel: +49 621 1246 298