RE: st: Keep data according to one data file's varlist

From   "Sarah Edgington" <sedging@ucla.edu>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   RE: st: Keep data according to one data file's varlist
Date   Wed, 7 Nov 2012 14:50:00 -0800

See -help ds- for info on getting the list of the variables in your data.

Are there any variables in your second data file that do not exist in the
first?  If there aren't you could do something like:

use data2, clear
ds
use data1, clear
keep `r(varlist)'

If there are variables in data2 that don't exist in data1 this example will
produce errors, but if data2 is a strict subset of the variables of the
first file it should be fine.

-Sarah

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.
harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Zhangqunzi
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2012 2:25 PM
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: st: Keep data according to one data file's varlist

Actually, I want to make the two big data sets have the same variable name
list which is from the second file. Some variables in data file 1 need to be
dropped.

I think I should creat a name list from data 2 then select the data from
data 1 according to this data 2 name list.

Can u tell me how to code in Stata?
Thanks

在 Nov 7, 2012,7:46 PM,Nick Cox <njcoxstata@gmail.com> 写道: