Re: st: Rename all?

From   "William Gould, StataCorp LP" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Rename all?
Date   Wed, 07 Nov 2012 14:10:06 -0600

Zhangqunzi <[email protected]> wrote,

> I am trying to rename a current varlist prc1...10 into shrout1....10.
>
> I tried
>
>      . rename prc* shrout*
>
> But it doesn't work, what command should I use then?

Evidently Zhangqunzi is not using Stata 12.  I just want to show the
rest of you that typing -rename prc* shrout*- will work if you have
Stata 12:

    . describe

    Contains data from ds.dta
      obs:             1
     vars:            13                      7 Nov 2012 13:50
     size:            52
                  storage  display   value
    variable name   type   format    label      variable label
    alpha           float  %9.0g
    prc1            float  %9.0g
    prc2            float  %9.0g
    prc3            float  %9.0g
    prc4            float  %9.0g
    prc5            float  %9.0g
    prc6            float  %9.0g
    prc7            float  %9.0g
    prc8            float  %9.0g
    prc9            float  %9.0g
    prc10           float  %9.0g
    new1            float  %9.0g
    new             float  %9.0g
    Sorted by:

    . rename prc* shrout*

    . describe

    Contains data from ds.dta
      obs:             1
     vars:            13                      7 Nov 2012 13:50
     size:            52
                  storage  display   value
    variable name   type   format    label      variable label
    alpha           float  %9.0g
    shrout1         float  %9.0g
    shrout2         float  %9.0g
    shrout3         float  %9.0g
    shrout4         float  %9.0g
    shrout5         float  %9.0g
    shrout6         float  %9.0g
    shrout7         float  %9.0g
    shrout8         float  %9.0g
    shrout9         float  %9.0g
    shrout10        float  %9.0g
    new1            float  %9.0g
    new             float  %9.0g
    Sorted by:
         Note:  dataset has changed since last saved

Actually, it might be better to type

	. rename prc# shrout#

if you also had a variable named prctotal and didn't want it
renamed to shrouttotal.

Remember the -dryrun- option.  That allows you to check what
-rename- would do before giving the command for real:

Below I consider the idea of renaming the variable back:

    . rename shrout# prc#, dryrun

       oldname | newname
      ---------+---------
       shrout1 | prc1
       shrout2 | prc2
       shrout3 | prc3
       shrout4 | prc4
       shrout5 | prc5
       shrout6 | prc6
       shrout7 | prc7
       shrout8 | prc8
       shrout9 | prc9
      shrout10 | prc10

I considered the idea; the -dryrun- option prevented the changes from
being made.

-- Bill