Re: st: -save- a varlist

From   Jeph Herrin <stata@spandrel.net>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: -save- a varlist
Date   Tue, 30 Oct 2012 10:46:09 -0400

Thanks for the various tips, this last one (-label save-, which I have used in other contexts, but forgot about) being the most useful.

Regarding the other comments:

 * -outsheet- and -outfile- are obvious alternatives that don't really
    solve the problem, in that labels are still lost
 * unless of course I do it twice, once with and without value labels,
    as suggested, but it's not trivial to recreate value labels that way
    with the same underlying values
 * per Austin's question, I can derive variables and save those
    locally; I have many types of nested units, so generally I am
    creating summary values for these different units (eg, patients,
    physicians, hospitals) and want to save them out in separate files
    for each type of unit. and there are some original variables (that I
    didn't create) which I can also save locally because there is no
    identifying data.

thanks,
Jeph