Re: st: Re: st. aweight

Subject   Re: st: Re: st. aweight
Date   Mon, 29 Oct 2012 18:15:27 -0400

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 5:44 PM, Rita Luk <Rita.Luk@camh.ca> wrote:

> Hi Jverkulien,
>
> I am slow to pick up what you say. For example my data has a sample size of only 5  obs, with the sanmpling wt variable wtpp:
>
>   caseid     wtpp
>   1.               60.74
>   2.     700.38
>   3.            139.64
>   4.    9671.57
>   5.    1545.32
>
> Sum of wtpp= N= 12117.65
>
> According to what you said, what does the analytical weight look like?   In addition to  being  normalized to sum to N, does the aweight need  to be integer?

In the case you discuss I think what would happen is that each of the
wtpp numbers would be divided by 12117.65 and then multiplied by 5.
The number you list as N is not N. N is 5.

Usually aweights are used when you have several means and their
sampling variances and want to generate an average mean weighted by
sampling variance. The sampling variances have each means N built in.
Hopefully if I'm wrong someone will chime in.