st: Greek symbols missing in "graph export" to PDF and EPS

From   Marco Ercolani <m.g.ercolani@bham.ac.uk>
Subject   st: Greek symbols missing in "graph export" to PDF and EPS
Date   Fri, 26 Oct 2012 13:10:20 +0100

Dear Statalisters,

When exporting a graph to PDF format Greek letters seem to vanish and
when exporting a graph to EPS the italics formatting on Greek letters is lost.

* Here is some code to illustrate the problems:
gr twoway function y=x+0.1, text(0.5 0.5 "{it:{&pi} = Q}", align(baseline) )
graph export "MyGraph.emf", replace // THIS IS FINE
graph export "MyGraph.eps", replace // GREEK LETTER PI IS NOT IN ITALICS
graph export "MyGraph.pdf", replace // GREEK LETTER PI IS MISSING

Are there elegant fixes within Stata to these problems?
(I am running Stata MP 64 under Windows).
(I know about manual solutions such as importing to
Word and creating PDF from Word and EPS files. )

sincerely,
 Marco Ercolani
 University of Birmingham