st: binary_mediation - a clarification

From   Paula Arce <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: binary_mediation - a clarification
Date   Thu, 25 Oct 2012 13:45:05 +0100 (BST)

Hi There,

I have used the binary_mediation command with 500 bootstrap cycles.  The output shows me that the proportion of the total effect mediated is equal to 27% (the direct x--> y regression also shows that x does predict y).

However, the 95%CIs for the indirect effect contain 0 (CIs: -.01 to .14), which then suggests that mediation is not occurring.

I am slightly confused by these results - should I only look at the proportion value if I find evidence that supports the presence of an indirect effect?