Re: st: sum issue (wrong values)

From   daniel klein <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: sum issue (wrong values)
Date   Wed, 24 Oct 2012 12:36:10 +0200

Christian,

first off, note that you seem to mix up Stata's -sum()- function with
Stata's -summarize- command, where the former does not return a
minimum or maximum, but the (runnig) sum of a variable (or more
general its arguments). Even though -list(varname)- works, you shopuld
type -list varname- because -list-, as -summarize-, is a command, not
a function.

You will need to show us what exactly you typed. My guess is, that
your variable has a value label attached, and -list- shows you the
labels, not the raw values.
(I already gave you this advice here:
http://www.stata-forum.de/deskriptive-statistik-f6/spezielles-resultat-mit-mean-t204.html
but you did not reply).

Btw. it is Stata not STATA

Best
Daniel

--
Hi,

I have a issue using the sum function of STATA. I have a data set,
where I have a variable called latency_int (type: int; and something
over 5700 values). I use the command sum(latency_int). There I get the
minimum of 2 and the maximum of 1999 even though the data set contains
values from 44 to 81000 (those values are shown when I use
list(latency_int). It must be a pretty basic mistake, however I have
not been able to come up with a solution for days.

Thanks for your hints,

Christian