Re: st: Demeaning TFP

From   SAM MCCAW <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Demeaning TFP
Date   Tue, 23 Oct 2012 13:01:40 -0400

Hi Nick,

Thanks a lot for your comments and help.

I went back to the Stata Journal and realized the plight of not
reading thoroughly.

So I'm going to go ahead and point out the mistake I made as I assume
that a lot of people using levpet might run into the same issue. At
the end of the levpet article in the SJ, the authors clearly note that
the predict option for levpet predicts the estimated TFP. So, the
command "predict TFP, omega"  would give the predicted values for TFP
and not the predicted output. The command also assumes that the
production function is in logs and adjusts for it so the predict
option does not give ln(TFP) either, but TFP itself, so one has to
take logs of the predicted values to get lnTFP.

If one misses to read that important note, they would assume that the
predict command gives you the predicted value of output from the
production function. This is the mistake I made.

Thanks again for replying to my query.

Best,

SAM