Re: st: Fill in values for year in an unbalanced panel with known order

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Fill in values for year in an unbalanced panel with known order
Date   Tue, 23 Oct 2012 17:19:05 +0100

This is a variation on a standard problem, on which see

FAQ     . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Replacing missing values
        1/12    How can I replace missing values with previous or
                following nonmissing values or within sequences?
                http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data-management/
                replacing-missing-values/

I suggest

sort id, stable
by id: replace year = cond(month == 1, year[_n-1] + 1, year[_n-1]) if
missing(year)

Nick