re: st: -tabplot- updated on SSC

From   "Ariel Linden, DrPH" <>
To   <>
Subject   re: st: -tabplot- updated on SSC
Date   Sun, 21 Oct 2012 12:19:25 -0400

Nick's genius is unsurpassed!

As far as I am aware, the following site is the only place where one can
find the entire collection of Nick Cox's artwork.

Nick, is this site updated with all your graphs? Is there another location
to find them as well?

Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 09:45:29 +0100
From: Nick Cox <>
Subject: st: -tabplot- updated on SSC

Thanks as usual to Kit Baum, the -tabplot- package on SSC has been updated.

- -tabplot- works in Stata 8 up except that as advertised in

any users of Stata 8 or 9 downloading it will need to rename the
tabplot.sthlp file to tabplot.hlp for it to be readable by their

- -tabplot- offers an alternative to stacking bars or arranging them
side by side; it arranges them in table form, in what on occasion I
have called a table plot, or what can be called a one-way, two-way or
three-way bar chart.

By default -tabplot- calculates and shows cell frequencies (percents
etc.) for one, two or three categorical variables, but with a little
effort it can be subverted to show any cell summary for such a
cross-classification. There are several small virtues to such a
format. One is that values can be shown alongside bars, thereby
hybridising graph and table. Another is that very small frequencies
(more generally values) are more evident to inspection. (In a stacked
bar chart, for example, such values are easy to miss as thin slivers
of a different colour.)

The update is twofold. First, I continue to add references to
occurrences of this kind of plot and remain very open to new
references, especially old or interesting ones. Although when you see
such a plot, the idea will seem very simple and obvious to you, they
remain far less common than (e.g.) stacked bar charts.

Second, Marcello Pagano kindly alerted me to a small but careless bug,
which I have fixed. (If it had bit you, you would have noticed.)

Incidentally, some readers might be aware of -tableplot- (SSC) and
wonder about the difference. -tableplot- is not being maintained by
me; the intention is that what you can do with -tableplot- you can do
with -tabplot-, although with different syntax. It's best to switch
and learn the difference, as -tableplot- is going nowhere new.