Re: st: Outlier diagnostics for tobit (postestimation)

From   Nick Cox <>
Subject   Re: st: Outlier diagnostics for tobit (postestimation)
Date   Fri, 19 Oct 2012 11:00:13 +0100

My #3 was

3. You should be clear that you really do have a tobit problem and not
one analogous to a logit or probit problem.

We see on this list examples in which -tobit- or -intreg- is being
applied to problems in which responses outside an interval [a, b] are
impossible in principle. The arguments from at least some of us are
that that kind of problem is usually much better treated as a logit or
probit or beta regression problem. (Clearly any [a, b] can be scaled
to [0, 1].)

You are repeating your question on whether you can pretend that your
problem is a standard regression problem and want to be told "right or
wrong". Who can tell? Perhaps it would be a decent approximation;
perhaps it would be lousy. We don't have your data to try it out. But
my view is that if you have a bounded response, you should be
respectful of those bounds in all your analysis. I wouldn't be
impressed at that kind of treatment if I were a reviewer of your paper
(examiner of your thesis, whatever).

(I am deliberately avoiding "censored" or "truncated" as terms of art,
partly because of the first point I made.)