RE: st: analysing experimental panel data

From   Matthew Sunderland <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: analysing experimental panel data
Date   Fri, 19 Oct 2012 03:45:35 +0000

Thank you for your reply!

You were correct on your initial assumption. 2,000 participants were confronted with both prices and that order was randomised. The advice you gave sounds sensible and we shall try this type of approach.

Many thanks,
Matthew.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Joerg Luedicke
Sent: Friday, 19 October 2012 4:30 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: analysing experimental panel data

On second thought, there might be a source of misunderstanding here.
The OP stated that:

"We presented participants with two mores set of prices in a randomized order"

The way I read this is that all 2,000 study participants were confronted with both additional prices, and that the order in which these prices were presented to them was randomized.

However, I can imagine that the OP meant to say that they drew a random sample of 1,000 individuals and assigned them to price a, and the other 1,000 to price b. If the latter is true, then my approach is of course useless here. In this case it looks like a straightforward difference-in-difference design to me, as the Econ folks would call it. That is, you would have a binary variable for treatment a/b and a binary variable for baseline/follow-up and then use these variables including their interaction to estimate the differences between baseline/follow-up for both treatment arms. If these differences are expected to vary across groups one would just need to include additional interaction effects.

Joerg