Re: st: RE: How do I properly tell Stata this data is Panel Data?

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: How do I properly tell Stata this data is Panel Data?
Date   Sat, 13 Oct 2012 00:12:38 +0100

This advice is quite incorrect: -xtset- or -tsset- will not accept
-quarter- as a time variable, because there are repeated values within
each panel.

You are best advised to calculate a quarterly date that combines the
two time variables.

gen qdate = yq(year, quarter)
format qdate %tq
xtset countynumber qdate

Nick

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 11:08 PM, Sun Yutao <[email protected]> wrote:

> I think you should set the quarter as your time axis. And when you need to estimate something that is year-wide, you take sum or average depending on what you want exactly.

Andrew Nicholson