st: Sums and means for each decile

From   <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Sums and means for each decile
Date   Fri, 12 Oct 2012 09:54:11 +0100

Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 15:09:39 +0000
From: Charles Vellutini <>
Subject: st: Sums and means for each decile

Dear all,

I have looked at -decile- and -pctile- but neither provides the sums and
means of each decile/percentile (only the cutoffs), if I am not

One could of course recover the cutoffs from -decile- and program this
by hand. There is also the excellent -glcurve- available from SSC but
this produces graphs; it creates variables that, yes, could also be used
to compute the sums I suppose.

But I thought that someone surely programmed this already?

Many thanks in advance,

Your message does not spell out exactly what you want or, indeed, why
you want to do it.

But I suggest that you look at -sumdist- on SSC. It provides estimates
of quantile group shares, and cumulative shares, and saves group by
group results in r() for those and a number of other statistics. From
the saved results, you can generate group means and sums

Professor Stephen P. Jenkins <>
Department of Social Policy and STICERD
Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE, UK
Tel: +44(0)20 7955 6527
Changing Fortunes: Income Mobility and Poverty Dynamics in Britain, OUP
Survival Analysis Using Stata:
Downloadable papers and software: