st: Question About Using Permute Command

From   Michael Horowitz <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Question About Using Permute Command
Date   Wed, 10 Oct 2012 09:48:14 -0400

I am interested in using the permute command to re-randomize an IV of interest as a robustness test. The materials on it seem a bit sparse, however, and I was wondering if someone could assist with the correct syntax. Here are the two possibilities I have come up with:

1. permute IV (the one I am randomizing) "regress DV IV control1 control2 control3" _b, reps(10000)

2. permute IV (the one I am randomizing) _b, reps(10000) saving(permtest1, replace): regress DV IV control1 control2 control3

Both seem to run, but they produce slightly different results and I am not sure which is right. I know people are busy, but I would appreciate any insight on which syntax is correct - or if both are wrong, what to use instead. Thanks very much!

Michael Horowitz