st: summary statistics

From   Donald Spady <dspady@ualberta.ca>
To   Statalist Statalist <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: summary statistics
Date   Sun, 30 Sep 2012 16:46:37 -0600

I need some help creating summary statistics.
I have 18 variables HSS1- HSS18, all containing a maximum of 5 discrete responses (1 to 5)
Is there a command that would create a table that looks like the following
		Col 1 	Col2 	Col 3 	Col 4	Col5
HSS1        n1            n2            n3             n4           n5
HSS2        n1  	         n2            n3             n4           n5
HSS3
 and so on

Where n1 is the number of responses where the variable HSS(n) took the value 1 and n2 is the number of responses where the variable HSS(n) took the value 2, and so on for n3, n4, n5.

I have looked in the manuals but have not come up with anything, nor have I seen this on Statalist.

Many thanks

Don

Donald Spady

--