Re: st: comparing means of industry groups

From   Nick Cox <njcoxstata@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: comparing means of industry groups
Date   Sat, 29 Sep 2012 13:14:45 +0100

Whenever you are contemplating lots of pairwise t tests like this,
they will be not independent of each other.

There will be a temptation to cherry-pick the comparisons that show
strong differences.

Apart from that, the t-tests work best if there is no dependence
structure in time, which seems unlikely.

Depending on how your variable is distributed within industries, and
on the nature of time dependence,
other techniques should be much more appropriate than what you propose.

How to program it neatly in Stata is thus, in my opinion, not the main
issue confronting you.

You need to talk this through with whoever is advising you. If it is
what they recommend or instruct, you need better advice.

Nick