st: Collecting Statistics of Averages of Variables

From   robert hartman <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Collecting Statistics of Averages of Variables
Date   Fri, 28 Sep 2012 13:55:39 -0400

Hi Listers,
I'm struggling with a couple of programming challenges. I will start
with this one. Any input on efficient ways to code this would be most
appreciated.

I want to take mean (or could be other "egen"/"collapse" type summary
statistic) form all possible combinations (of subsets of various
sizes) from a set of variables.

For example, if I have v1, v2, v3, and v4, I would want the mean of
each: v1v2, v1v3, v1v4, v1v2v3, v1v2v4, v1v3v4...v3v2...v3v2v4, etc.

By v1v2v3, I mean gen v1v2v3=(v1+v2+v3)/3; (assuming the summary
statistic of interest is the mean)
by v1v2v3v4, I mean v1v2v3v4=,I mean gen v1v2v3v4=(v1+v2+v3+v4)/4.

etc.

I don't need to actually create permanent variables, simply
1. create a temporary "combination variable" (e.g., v1v2v4 =
rowmean(v1 v2 v4)) for each possible combination,
2. collect summary statistics of interest from "combination variables."
3. spit out a file that conveys this information intelligibly

For example, I may want to write out a file that gives (a) the name of
the combination (e.g., v1v2v4--the column representing the rowmean of
those three variables) and (b) the mean and standard deviation of that
v1v2v4 variable.

In my particular case, I have about a 70 variable space from which to
create all these subset combinations.

Any helpful starting points or coding ideas would be helpful.

Thanks,
Rob Hartman