RE: st: question regd wmpstata

From   Pradipto Banerjee <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: question regd wmpstata
Date   Fri, 28 Sep 2012 12:08:37 -0500

Nick,

Thanks for the link.

You made some valid points
1. I was planning to supply the name of the database to the program
3. You are right, but I wanted to explore if wmpstata has the capability to run an -ado- file. Seems like it can't.

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2012 12:58 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: question regd wmpstata

I see. This is, more or less, a question raised by Tashi Lama a few days ago

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2012-09/msg00598.html

and you might want to follow that thread. I presume you are interested
in programs defined by .ado files.

Speculating wildly, but building on that discussion, here are some reflections:

1. To do very much useful the program would usually have to read in
some data, and how would that be done? (There are exceptions, such as
doing simulations.)

2. Passing arguments to the program sounds as if it could be messy and
you would have to ensure that your Stata syntax was not misinterpreted
by the operating system.

3. The do-file method lets you run one or more programs and so appears
to be general enough already to meet foreseeable needs. Conversely, if
Stata is running a program that you name, then at a guess everything
that you want to do has to be defined by that program, which by many
tastes is likely to seem poor programming style, but the choice is
yours.

Nick

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Pradipto Banerjee
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Nick,
>
> Historically, I have used "wmpstata /e do mydofile.do dofileoption1 dofileoption2"  where the -do- is run with the options -dofileoption1-, -dofileoption2- etc. However, I was thinking to do the same with an -ado- file instead of a -do- and wanted to explore if there are any differences - and also what other options might be available.

Nick Cox

> My answer is "the manuals" or http://www.stata.com/statamp/ depending
> on whether you have it installed, but I suspect that I don't
> understand what is being sought here.

Pradipto Banerjee

>> Is there any place where I can get information on wmpstata.exe, i.e. what the options etc?

 This communication is for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be, nor should it be construed or used as, financial, legal, tax or investment advice or an offer to sell, or a solicitation of any offer to buy, an interest in any fund advised by Ada Investment Management LP, the Investment advisor.  Any offer or solicitation of an investment in any of the Funds may be made only by delivery of such Funds confidential offering materials to authorized prospective investors.  An investment in any of the Funds is not suitable for all investors.  No representation is made that the Funds will or are likely to achieve their objectives, or that any investor will or is likely to achieve results comparable to those shown, or will make any profit at all or will be able to avoid incurring substantial losses.  Performance results are net of applicable fees, are unaudited and reflect reinvestment of income and profits.  Past performance is no guarantee of future results. All f!
 inancial data and other information are not warranted as to completeness or accuracy and are subject to change without notice.

Any comments or statements made herein do not necessarily reflect those of Ada Investment Management LP and its affiliates. This transmission may contain information that is confidential, legally privileged, and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is strictly prohibited. If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format.