Re: st: RE: PH207x Health in Numbers

From   Marcello Pagano <pagano@hsph.harvard.edu>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   Re: st: RE: PH207x Health in Numbers
Date   Wed, 26 Sep 2012 10:37:41 -0400

We are busily creating the content right now, Matt.
We hope to make the course as self contained as possible, so there is no textbook required (modern!)
We do have leads throughout to (free) web sources.

So far we have "lectures" that may last from a minute to fifteen, or so.
These chunks are followed by active exercises, including applets and use of Stata, before the next chunk. So there is no sleeping while you listen to a two hour lecture! At the end of a topic, a collection of chunks and activities, there are homeworks that get sent back to be graded. There are also "guest lectures", or video, interspersed throughout the course of people who have carried out important studies in the area. The exam schedule we are debating still, but there should be one at the end with maybe another one at the middle? It is *not* just a collection of videoed lectures, nor a collection of slides.

We are quite excited by this--I view it to possibly have an impact on education similar to the one the free library had in the nineteenth century. (Not our course, of course, but the free movement in general!) It is also great to have StataCorp collaborate.

m.p.

On 9/26/2012 10:09 AM, Habiger, Matt wrote:
Marcello thanks for the link! This looks like a good course. What sort of course content will be used (textbooks, assignments, video lecture, exams, etc...)? I wasn't able to find that information on the website.

Thanks,
Matt Habiger

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Marcello Pagano
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 8:36 AM
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: st: PH207x Health in Numbers

Dear Listers,

On October the 15th edX is launching a course, PH207x: Health in
Numbers: Quantitative Methods in Clinical & Public Health Research, which is based on introductory biostatistics and epidemiology courses taught at the Harvard School of Public Health.

https://www.edx.org/courses/HarvardX/PH207x/2012_Fall/about

The course relies heavily on Stata, lasts 12 weeks, has no prerequisites other than basic algebra and a willingness to work, and you may register for free.

m.p.

p.s. You may recognize one of the instructors.

---
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential, trade secret or privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited and may be a violation of law.  If you are not the intended recipient or a person responsible for delivering this message to an intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.
---