Re: st: 3-level model for crime victimization

From   Erik Alda <>
Subject   Re: st: 3-level model for crime victimization
Date   Tue, 25 Sep 2012 19:59:30 -0400

thanks so much for the advice.

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 11:45 AM, JVerkuilen (Gmail)
<> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Erik Alda <> wrote:
>> Dear Statalisters
>> I am running a, so far, 2 level model on crime victimization using a survey
>> of 8 neighborhoods in a large city in Brazil. The firs level is individual
>> level predictors and the second level is neighborhood level predictors.
>> Since the survey is not representative of the whole municipality, would I be
>> able to include a 3rd level with citywide variables to estimate the effect
>> of policy?
> I don't see why you can't include it though your level 3 N is somewhat
> small. As long as the sample sizes per neighborhood aren't reasonably
> even it should run OK, though. The fact that the survey isn't
> representative is a study limitation and affects what conclusions you
> can draw from it, but that's separate from whether there's level 3
> heterogeneity in the sample you do have. In some cases having the
> external generalizability of a a representative sample is mandatory.
> In other case it's not.
> --
> JVVerkuilen, PhD
> "Out beyond ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing there is a field.
> I'll meet you there. When the soul lies down in that grass the world
> is too full to talk about." ---Rumi
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *
> *
> *

Erik Alda
Doctoral Student
Department of Justice, Law and Society
School of Public Affairs
The American University, Washington, D.C.