st: Re: st: Re: st: Re: st: From: Rodrigo Briceño <[email protected]>

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: st: Re: st: Re: st: From: Rodrigo Briceño <[email protected]>
Date   Tue, 25 Sep 2012 18:36:05 +0100

Thanks for the thanks. As said, I don't use -estadd- or -estout-. That
means no more than it says. (I don't often collate lots of model
results, and when I do I tend to write my own code.)

I was not commenting adversely on those programs, just making the
standard point that has been part of Statalist protocol over most of
its history that you are asked to explain where user-written commands
come from. The logic is three-fold at least:

1. People trying to make sense of your problem get information they
need. (If they know already, no harm is done.) You don't want to make
anything more difficult for those people.

2. Even people just watching may learn about a useful program if they
ever have a problem similar to yours. That's surely a useful
side-effect

3. The program authors get (indirect) publicity for their work.

Any way, it follows that I can't recommend alternatives, but I have
every reason to believe that you don't need alternatives, as I know
that Ben Jann is an excellent programmer and people whose judgement I
trust use those programs often.

Nick