RE: st: Error with plugin

From   Pradipto Banerjee <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Error with plugin
Date   Mon, 24 Sep 2012 11:57:09 -0500

Thanks, Nick. Works perfectly now.

I like Mata a lot. Unfortunately, Mata lacks dedicated linear/quadratic optimization. I am hoping to compiling one of the free optimizers with the Stata plugin and get some optimization functions.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2012 12:40 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Error with plugin

I passed smoothly and painlessly from not needing to use plugins to
being aware that Mata offered the power of plug-ins without the pain.
So here I am guessing.

r(102) is explained within what you cite as not enough variables. So,
the natural debug question is what in what you typed is to leading to
Stata failing to see a (large enough) varlist? I would point a finger
at your line

plugin call varsum, x1 x2 x3

Here the comma is, I guess, leading to an empty varlist and your error
message. I see no grounds for inserting a comma there.

Nick

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 5:27 PM, Pradipto Banerjee
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I am trying to run the example code for Stata plugin given at http://www.stata.com/plugins/. The code I was trying to run is the example given in section 8a
>
> ---------
> #include "stplugin.h"
>
> STDLL stata_call(int argc, char *argv[])
> {
>         ST_int  j, k;
>         ST_double       sum, z;
>         ST_retcode      rc;
>
>         if (SF_nvars() < 2) {
>                 return(102);                    /* not enough variables specified */
>         }
>
>         for (j=SF_in1(); j<=SF_in2(); j++) {
>                 if (SF_ifobs(j)) {
>                         sum = 0.0 ;
>                         for (k=1; k< SF_nvars(); k++) {
>                                         if (rc = SF_vdata(k, j, &z)) return(rc);
>                                         sum += z;
>                                 }
>                                 if (rc=SF_vstore(SF_nvars(), j, sum)) return(rc);
>                         }
>                 }
>
>         return (0);
> }
> ---------
>
> I complied it with gcc under cygwin (Windows) by following the suggestion on the Stata website: "gcc -shared -mno-cygwin stplugin.c varsum.c -o varsum.plugin". Then within Stata, I did the following:
>
> .program varsum, plugin
>
> .plugin call varsum, x1 x2 x3
>
> r(102);
>
> The expected code was supposed to add x1 & x2 and place it in x3. However, it gives "r(102)". I can't figure out what is wrong, but clearly the code views SF_nvars() as having 1 or less arguments supplied to it, even though I have supplied 3 arguments.
>
> Any idea what might be the issue?
>
> (p.s. To add: I am running Stata 9.2. Two other earlier examples of Section 5 & Section 7 of http://www.stata.com/plugins/ worked fine.)
>
> By any chance, should I be using the version 1.0 of stplugin.h / stplugin.c for Stata 9.2?

 This communication is for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be, nor should it be construed or used as, financial, legal, tax or investment advice or an offer to sell, or a solicitation of any offer to buy, an interest in any fund advised by Ada Investment Management LP, the Investment advisor.  Any offer or solicitation of an investment in any of the Funds may be made only by delivery of such Funds confidential offering materials to authorized prospective investors.  An investment in any of the Funds is not suitable for all investors.  No representation is made that the Funds will or are likely to achieve their objectives, or that any investor will or is likely to achieve results comparable to those shown, or will make any profit at all or will be able to avoid incurring substantial losses.  Performance results are net of applicable fees, are unaudited and reflect reinvestment of income and profits.  Past performance is no guarantee of future results. All f!
 inancial data and other information are not warranted as to completeness or accuracy and are subject to change without notice.

Any comments or statements made herein do not necessarily reflect those of Ada Investment Management LP and its affiliates. This transmission may contain information that is confidential, legally privileged, and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is strictly prohibited. If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format.