st: merge problem

From   Jerome Fauconnier <>
Subject   st: merge problem
Date   Fri, 21 Sep 2012 15:08:07 +0200

I am using Stata 12.
I have two files that I want to merge with a new variable "numhosp" which I have just created from a existing variable "numven".
When I try to merge the two files with the following command :
"merge 1:1 numhosp using lamda2011"
I have got the following error message :
"numven is double in using data"

I don't use "numven" in the merge command. Why is it taken in account?

Thank you for your help