Re: st: How to Convert Nominal GDP to Real GDP

From   Nick Cox <>
Subject   Re: st: How to Convert Nominal GDP to Real GDP
Date   Fri, 21 Sep 2012 10:10:04 +0100

I think you need to explain where the variables -cpi2001-, -cpi2002-,
etc. come from in your solution.

I guess that you are thinking in terms of subscripts, but writing otherwise.

Perhaps you mean something more like

gen index = 1
replace index = index[_n-1] * (1 + cpi) if _n > 1

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Lovisa Persson
<> wrote:

> Is your variable CPI an index with value 100 or 1 at base year 2000?
> In that case you do what Lukas recommended.
> If the CPI is in rate of change from year to year,  you first need to
> generate a price index variable with base year 2000 , and THEN you do what
> the previous responder told you.
> generate index=1
> replace index=1+cpi if year==2001
> and then you impute the rest of the values...
> replace index=(cpi2001+1)*(cpi2002+1) if year==2002
> replace index= (cpi2001+1)*(cpi2002+1)* (cpi2003+1) if year==2003
> You impute the actual values of the CPI in rate of change...
> Now you have an index which you can use to generate your Real GDP variable.
> Using your nominal GDP variable and divide it by the index just as described
> below.

Lukas Borkowski

> the answer would be -gen realgdp = gdp/cpi-

Shawn Meyer: