st: SSC install problems

From   "Fabian Schönenberger" <>
Subject   st: SSC install problems
Date   Wed, 19 Sep 2012 11:42:40 +0200

Dear Statalist
I am currently facing problems updateing and installing from ssc. I tried to install tsspell, a user-written program from ssc, but it did not work.I also tried adoupdate, update and the following error message occured:

adoupdate, update
(note: adoupdate updates user-written files; type -update- to check for updates to official Stata)

Checking status of installed packages...

    [1] rollreg at

I/O error
                 fopen():   691  I/O error
         loadsscupfile():     -  function returned error
 pkg_update_status_ssc():     -  function returned error
     pkg_update_status():     -  function returned error
pkg_update_status_noisily():     -  function returned error
 extract_update_exists():     -  function returned error
    pkg_chk_and_update():     -  function returned error
                 <istmt>:     -  function returned error

When trying installing tsspell, the following error occured:

ssc install tsspell
connection timed out -- see help r(2) for troubleshooting either
  1)  is not a valid URL, or
  2)  could not be contacted, or
  3)  is not a Stata download site (has no stata.toc file).

Any suggestions highly appreciated. My internet access works fine.