Re: st: Identify 5 closest observations of a variable and then calculate average of another variable based on the observations identified

From   Joseph Monte <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Identify 5 closest observations of a variable and then calculate average of another variable based on the observations identified
Date   Tue, 18 Sep 2012 18:40:23 +0100

Dear Austin and Gordon,

Thanks for your suggestions.

Sorry I was not clear in my email. I have a counter variable called
"identifier" which is unique for each observation. For each
"identifier" within a certain "region" (I have approx 4000 identifiers
and 40 regions), I basically want the average value of "var2" for the
five closest values of "var1" based on value. I tried the following
code below and it seems to "almost" solve my problem (although it is
most likely inefficient since I am creating 16 variables and then
using -reshape- to get what I want). My concern is that it does not
handle the possibility that "var1" may be the same with a given
"region". There are 3 instances when "var1" has the same value twice
within a given "region". In this case, I want the average "var2" to be
taken of the two observations. I am hence using values from 1 to 8 in
the loop below to capture the possibility that all three duplicates
may occur for a given observation (I would normally use 1 to 5 if
there were no duplicates of "var1"). I am not clear on how to capture
the average value of "var2" if "var1" is the same within a given
"region" and would appreciate any help.

-----------------------begin code ----------------------
forv i=1/8 {
	bys region (var1): gen diffvar1minus`i'=var1-var1[_n-`i']
	bys region (var1): gen diffvar1plus`i'=abs(var1-var1[_n+`i'])
	bys region (var1): gen var2minus`i'=var2[_n-`i']
	bys region (var1): gen var2plus`i'=var2[_n+`i']
	}
reshape long diffvar1 var2, i(identifier) j(minusplus5, string)
drop if diffvar1==.
bys identifier (diffvar1): gen id1=_N
drop if id1<5
bys identifier (diffvar1): gen id=_n