Re: st: fixing variance parameters in xtmixed to do meta-analysis

Subject   Re: st: fixing variance parameters in xtmixed to do meta-analysis
Date   Thu, 13 Sep 2012 18:46:58 -0400

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 6:23 PM, Vince Wiggins, StataCorp
<vwiggins@stata.com> wrote:

> You currently can't and I don't know any tricks to fake it. It is
> definitely on our list to provide these types of constraints, but I
> suspect it will be a while.

Thanks for the definitive answer, Vince. I figured it would be on your
list if it wasn't possible as it's incredibly useful for many models.
I couldn't figure out a way but there are folks who are better at
driving xtmixed than me who can make things happen.

I got something "close enough" using the very nice metaan program to
satisfy my immdediate need and I do have access to PROC MIXED so I can
get the "right" answer. Frankly it doesn't look like enough as these
effects seem to have some outliers so I might need to go full Bayes.