RE: st: horizontal box plots and log scale

From   Susanna Cramb <SusannaCramb@cancerqld.org.au>
Subject   RE: st: horizontal box plots and log scale
Date   Thu, 13 Sep 2012 06:31:06 +0000

Thanks Nick for your patience and assistance.

I appreciate your advice.

My main problem is simply that I cannot generate a horizontal box plot using the option ysc(log), and have not been able to since upgrading to Stata v11 (for Windows) onwards. If I include the option under -graph box- it works fine, but for -graph hbox- it gives a mess. Sadly, -stripplot- seemed to have a similar problem when I requested the log option.

So I included code completely unrelated to my data so others could see if they had the same problem, or if this was something peculiar to my computer/s...

Thanks again,
Susanna

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: Thursday, 13 September 2012 4:02 PM
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: st: horizontal box plots and log scale

I am no longer very clear on your real problem or how it led to your first post.

But if the values given are like your data, which are relative risks for various situations or studies, then I would not reach for a box plot at all. I would want to see all the values and so would use - graph dot- or -stripplot- (SSC) with an -over()- option. Such commands allow text labels for each value.

When some values are very close together -devnplot- (SSC) can work better than -stripplot-. There is an example in my San Diego presentation, downloadable from the Stata website.

Nick