st: fixing variance parameters in xtmixed to do meta-analysis

Subject   st: fixing variance parameters in xtmixed to do meta-analysis
Date   Wed, 12 Sep 2012 16:18:46 -0400

Hello all, I'm back after a long absence.

Anyway, I have been doing some meta-analysis recently. This is
complicated because it involves clustering of the effect sizes. I'd
like to fit a proper model which has a random effect for the second
level of aggregation.

In SAS you can trick PROC MIXED to do random effects meta analysis by
passing in variance parameters and fixing them. I'm sure something
like this is possible in STATA (err... I hope it is) but I'm not sure
how to do it. Any advice? Is GLLAMM the only recourse?

Jay