st: fitstat and SSC (was: SSC Activity, August 2012)

From   Dirk Enzmann <>
Subject   st: fitstat and SSC (was: SSC Activity, August 2012)
Date   Mon, 10 Sep 2012 11:31:24 +0200

Yes, the multiple -fitstat- versions and their locations are very confusing: -fitstat- is part of the spost9_ado package but also of the spost8_ado (and probably in a different disguise of spost12_ado).

It seems that the most recent version is 1.8.1 (2007-09-18) but the date of its helpfile is 03Nov2005. You need a very good workflow to keep track of all this.

Suggestion (to whom, Kit Baum? Scott Long?): Wouldn't it be possible to remove the -fitstat- .ado from SSC and to replace it with a description which points to

-net describe spost9_ado, from(

Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 10:44:39 -0500
From: Richard Williams<>
Subject: Re: st: SSC Activity, August 2012

At 07:56 AM 9/9/2012, Christopher Baum wrote:
>Over 330,000 ado-, mata- and mlib-files were downloaded from the SSC
>Archive in August, representing the efforts of 445 members of the
>Stata community. Results for authors are available, as always, on
>while results on a per-package basis are available from within Stata:
>. ssc hot,n(25)
Thanks for the update Kit. FYI, I notice that -fitstat- is in the top
25. People should know that the version of -fitstat- on SSC is not
the most current version (indeed, the SSC version is more than 10
years old). Long and Freese keep the most current version of
- -fitstat- (along with various other routines which have older
versions available on SSC) on Long's personal website. Do -findit
spost9- to get the most up to date version. I've seen several people
have problems because they were using old versions of Long and Freese
software. When in doubt, I usually assume SSC has the most current
version of software, but Long and Freese's routines are a noteworthy exception.

Dr. Dirk Enzmann
Institute of Criminal Sciences
Dept. of Criminology
Rothenbaumchaussee 33