Re: st: compressed data and named pipes on linux

From   James Sams <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: compressed data and named pipes on linux
Date   Fri, 07 Sep 2012 16:33:27 -0500

On Sunday 19,  August  2012 17:24:42 you wrote:
> If you do find out what is causing the segmentation fault, I hope you will
> post the information or a workaround here.

After some extended back and forth with Stata's tech support, it turns out,
according to a senior programmer, that `use' has changed since prior documents
referencing the ability to use `use' with a pipe. It now does random seeks
through the file, which as Daniel mentioned, is not possible on a pipe. This is
of course highly disappointing. I tried with pretty simple files lacking value
labels and such hoping that maybe that was what the seeks were being used for.
However, this did not work. Apparently they have officially written off the
ability to do this. This is of course highly disappointing given how quickly
datasets grow now, but there it is.

--
James Sams