Re: st: Import multiple excel sheets

From   daniel klein <klein.daniel.81@googlemail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: Import multiple excel sheets
Date   Fri, 7 Sep 2012 18:34:21 +0200

Mike,

have a look at the saved results from -import excel- with -describe-
option. The number (and names) of the sheets of each file is saved in
r().

Best
Daniel

--
Hi all,

I need to import many excel files that each have multiple worksheets
and then append them. I have about 51 files that vary in the number of
sheets each one has. They are named 'file1' file2' 'file3'...ect. Each
sheet is named 'Unit' Unit1' 'Unit2'...ect (Note the first sheet
doesn't have a number in its name). I've been thinking about the
problem in the following manner, but got stuck because I'm not sure
how to import the multiple sheets from each file when each file has a
different number of sheets.

forvalues i=1/51{
	import excel "C:\Users\file`i'.xls", sheet("Unit") firstrow case(lower) clear
	if `i'>1 append using "mainfile"
	save "mainfile", replace
	}

Any thoughts?