st: Editing values in postestimation coefficient matrix

From   ETHAN SHARYGIN <garba@sas.upenn.edu>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Editing values in postestimation coefficient matrix
Date   Wed, 5 Sep 2012 12:53:19 -0400

Dear Statalisters,

Has anyone discovered a way to alter the values in the coefficient
matrix after a regression? I realize they can be converted to a
regular matrix and manipulated-- but I need to use commands to work
with the postestimation matrix e(b) so having them stored as a regular
Stata matrix would not work.

It seems that e(b) and other values in return/ereturn are stored
somewhere special where mere mortal users can't toy with them. I'm
hoping there are some superusers here who might know if it can be
done, and how.

(In short, I need to run two similar regressions and then calculate
predictions using coefficients for a few of the variables from the
first regression and coefficients for the the remainder of the
variables from the second-- alternative approaches to achieve this end
are welcome).

Thanks, and regards,
Ethan

--