st: Using ksmirnov

From   Morrison Hodges <>
To   Statalist <>
Subject   st: Using ksmirnov
Date   Wed, 5 Sep 2012 09:41:14 -0500

I'm trying to use ksmirnov to compare 2 distributions to determine if there are any differences in the distribution of the variables.

I have a .dta file with 179 patients. Each patient is classified as being in one of 7 groups from 1 to 7, i.e., group==1, group==2, etc. I want to compare the same variable between 2 groups. All variables are already sorted, from lowest to highest.

'ksmirnov' requires by(groupvar). I tried:

ksmirnov var, by(group==1, group==3)

and I get an error message that says "invalid variable in by() option.

I tried: ksmirnov jumps if group==1 | group==3, by(group)
and also got an error method. Can someone help? Thanks, Morry Hodges