Re: st: Loading long string variables (from SQL) into Stata

From   Nick Cox <njcoxstata@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: Loading long string variables (from SQL) into Stata
Date   Tue, 4 Sep 2012 14:23:54 +0100

The maximum length of string variable in all current variants of Stata
is 244. See e.g. -help limits- or

http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?limits

That cannot be changed.

You could split a long string using Mata, but you'd still have to
import it somehow. Better to split it within your data source.

Nick