st: RE: xtlogit - alternative set and identifier variable - question

From   Gigi Perry <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: RE: xtlogit - alternative set and identifier variable - question
Date   Wed, 29 Aug 2012 15:19:32 -0700

Hi everyone,
I'm a Quantitative Marketing PhD student from UC Berkeley. This is my first email to statalist - I'm very excited to join!
I would like to run xtlogit on a panel data, the fixed effects are for UserID, which repeat for a few WeekYear.
I tried to learn from the example -
. webuse union
. xtlogit union age grade i.not_smsa south##c.year, fe
1. Can you please explain me how Stata knows which variable is the identifier variable for the user from this data (in this case it is idcode)?
2. For a multinomial xtlogit, how does Stata know what the alternative set is?
Thank you,

Gigi Perry
PhD student in Marketing Science
Haas School of Business, F501
University of California, Berkeley, CA  94720