re: st: Standardized difference of means after PS matching

From   "Ariel Linden. DrPH" <>
To   <>
Subject   re: st: Standardized difference of means after PS matching
Date   Wed, 29 Aug 2012 14:12:22 -0700

Hi Adam,

It is not clear to me what step in your process is giving you different
results? In which program are you using c.race vs i.race? I am not sure that
-pbalchk- (user written program by Mark Lunt) accepts the prefix -c.- and
furthermore, I don't understand why you'd treat a multiple categorical
variable (such as race) as continuous to begin with? You'd certainly end up
with a result that would be meaningless.

As far as calculating balance on a binary variable (assuming it is binary),
your results should not differ much (between treating the variable as
continuous and eliciting a proportion, or treating it as a count and using
chi2) if you have sufficient sample sizes (see what happens when you compare
chi2 with t-test for proportions)... However, if you have a multiple
categorical variable, then I believe you'd need to create dummies for use in

In any case, I can't really provide more guidance, since I not sure exactly
what is going on given the limited information you provided.