st: RE: Listing the first 5 observations

From   "Cohen, Elan" <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: RE: Listing the first 5 observations
Date   Wed, 29 Aug 2012 14:29:08 +0000

How about:

bys age (random): l if _n<=5

- Elan

-----Original Message-----
From: [] On Behalf Of Damian Finlayson
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 10:23
Subject: st: Listing the first 5 observations

This seems like a relatively simple query but no matter which way I
try I cannot get it to work.

I am trying to randomly select a number of observations according a
set criteria.

Say I have 3 variables: var1, var2 and random.  Var1 consists purely
of unique values (such as names).  Var 2 has groups/categories (e.g.
age). Random consists of unique random numbers.

I would like to get stata to sort each category (age) by a random
number and then list the first 5 names for a given age say 49.

The command I am trying to use is:

list var1 if age == 49

but I cannot seem to amend this command so that only the first 5
observations  (as per the random number) are listed.  If I use in 1/5
it does not work as the first observation for age 49 could be the 53
observation the second at 114 and so on.  If I ask for all
observations I could end up with thousands of names being listed.

Thanks in advance for your help,