st: RE: standard normal distribution

From   "Cohen, Elan" <cohened@upmc.edu>
Subject   st: RE: standard normal distribution
Date   Mon, 27 Aug 2012 17:15:25 +0000

Tashi,

You did not generate Normal random values, but calculated values of the Normal density.  As always, it's extremely helpful to see which commands you used.

You want to use the -rnormal()- function to generate values from a Normal distribution, not -normalden()-.

HTH,

- Elan

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of tashi lama
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2012 11:56
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: st: standard normal distribution

Hello all,
   This might be more of a statistical question than stata but I would really appreciate if someone explain me this. I thought I understood normal distribution until I see this. I have a standard normal distribution table with N(mean=0,standard deviation=1) which gives me the following

      x          y
  |---------------|
  | -9   1.03e-18 |
  | -8   5.05e-15 |
  | -7   9.14e-12 |
  | -6   6.08e-09 |
  | -5   1.49e-06 |
  |---------------|
  | -4   .0001339 |
  | -3    .004433 |
  | -2   .0540047 |
  | -1   .2420321 |
  |  0   .3990434 |
  |---------------|
  |  1   .2420321 |
  |  2   .0540047 |
  |  3    .004433 |
  |  4   .0001339 |
  |  5   1.49e-06 |
  |---------------|
  |  6   6.08e-09 |
  |  7   9.14e-12 |
  |  8   5.05e-15 |
  |  9   1.03e-18 |
  | 10   7.70e-23 |

summ y
Variable |       Obs        Mean    Std. Dev.       Min        Max
           y |        20    .0500127    .1105588   7.70e-23   .3990434

Do I not must get mean of  y to be 0 and standard deviation to be 1 since it is a normal distribution N(0,1). Am I misunderstanding something here??

Thanks,
Tashi